It’s a very exciting time at Disneyland right now! January 2023 marks the start of the Disney100 celebration, and also the premiere of a new attraction called Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway!
Located in Toontown, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is the first ever attraction to feature Disney’s main characters, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse!
The attraction was first unveiled at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 2020, and was an instant hit with Guests. And now, this innovative all-ages attraction is open at the Disneyland Resort in Mickey’s Toontown!
If you’re looking forward to experiencing Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway when it first opens, you should be aware there are two options available for you:
- Standby Queue
- Paid Lightning Lane
On very busy days, Disneyland may offer a virtual queue for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. You can check the Disneyland app at the start of your park day to see if the queue will be standby or virtual.
Standby Queue for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
The standby queue will work the same as any other queue at Disneyland Park.
For Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, the queue is very cute, with lots of fun décor that celebrates Mickey’s cartoon history. You’ll find scenes dedicated to classic cartoons such as “The Band Concert” and “Mickey and the Beanstalk,” as well as nods to modern Mickey cartoons such as Potatoland.
Pay extra close attention to the concession stand area; there are tons of fun Easter Eggs to spot, including the shape of the popcorn!
In 2023, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will be extremely popular. Expect your wait in the queue to be 60-90 minutes during peak times.
Using a Paid Individual Lightning Lane for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
Want to skip the long standby line? I don’t blame you! There is another option, but you’ll have to cough up some money to use it.
With Individual Lightning Lane (“ILL”), Guests can pay a fee to bypass the standard queue and get on the ride quicker.
Expect the ILL price for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway to be around $15-$20 per Guest.
How to Purchase an Individual Lightning Lane Pass for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- All Guests in your group who want to ride the attraction must be scanned into their starting park.
- Once inside the park, open the Disneyland app and navigate to “My Disney Day” by tapping on the “hamburger” menu in the bottom right corner.
- Tap on “Tip Board.”
- Make sure it shows “Disneyland Park” at the top. If it’s showing Disney California Adventure, tap on “Change Park” to switch.
- Scroll down until you see “Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway” (attractions are listed in alphabetical order).
- Tap where it reads “Individual Lightning Lane” and the purchase price. (If you do not see this, it means the ILL are sold out or not being offered.)
- Choose a return window and continue with your purchase. The credit card on file on your Disney account will be charged.
- During your return window, head to the entrance of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, where a Cast Member will scan the pass on your Disneyland app and direct you to your Lightning Lane queue.
If you want to go the ILL route, be aware Guests are limited to two (2) ILL per day. The other attractions that use ILL are Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland Park, and Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure Park.
I hope this guide helped you with learning how to ride Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway! Feel free to check out some of my other articles that will help you plan your trip to Disneyland Resort!
Everything You Need to Know About Visiting Disneyland in 2023